Tuesday

Krieg in Paree

As an avid reader, I like to be quite varied in books I read. This tends to give me a very large scope and odd tid bits of information. I have actually learned a lot of random facts and come to awe inspiring conclusions based off of things I have read. My expansive reading list has included, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, spy novels, analysis of people's reactions, criminal behaviour, sniper novels, biographies of Navy Seals, thrillers, lawyer books, mysteries and occasionally short stories. That may seem diverse but I am a fickle beast that just sees a book and reads it. The connections between books are the most enlightening parts of reading. When you open a book you open a window in your brain, and when you've opened a lot of windows, you have a very well ventilated house. A well ventilated house has plenty of halls leading to rooms with windows in them. I like to spend my time in those hallways redecorating. When I come up with a new idea connecting two ideas from two different books, I get a little too excited.
For instance, I have been reading A Movable Feast, which follows Hemingway through Paris during Dubya Dubya Deuce. While this has been for school, I also was recently reading a fictional story about World War
II and a secret plot to assasinate someone. In this fictional work, Master Sniper, by Stephen Hunter, the main character of Leetz meets a certain burly, moustachioed individual at a party in Paree. Yea. I was happy. I was amazed that two so vastly different works could possibly be related at all.
We always may see allusions to other books with comparisons to famous characters or even deep meaningful quotes. Not having that character at a party (Drunk off his moustache by the way) who is about to get in a fight with the main character over a girl. That's like having Obama make a guest appearance on an episode of Law and Order as the cracked out murder suspect. Trippy right?

Cumpenati
I am the common man's pianist

3 comments:

  1. "But I am a fickle beast that just sees a book and reads it." I like that sentence and I like that it's true.

    A Happy Teacher Lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are funny that way. It's like a whole different world, and yet we can so easily visualize ourselves in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick! This is like a flashback from fifth grade when we read the Princess Bride! Don't deny it, you know it happened. "I am the fickle beast" is probably the most honest sentence in your blog, heck, of your life!

    ReplyDelete